On Thu, Sep 23, 2004 at 12:55:59PM -0700, David M. Fetter wrote:

> > For the build tool to upgrade is to replace the installed version
> > of a package with a version from the repository.
> > It first determines the 'newest' version in the repository and then
> > tries to install it, independent on what version you have installed.
>
> Well, that makes sense now.  I don't understand why we would want to do
> that though.

A reverse dependency might require a package to be rebuilt or
reinstalled, and that can only work if all packages are in the
repository. In that case you don't get the downgrade problem either.

Another reason is that the index is seen as the nominal set
of packages for an installation (or a superset). Converging
on that set makes sense if you want equal installations on
multiple machines.

So, the final authority is not the individual version number, but
the index. :-)

The only method to override this, for now, is to exclude a package
from the upgrade process completely.

All what I said so far is only valid for packages that you pass
to the build tool as an argument. In case of dependent packages
the version of the installed package should be honored unless
you use the -e option.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst