On Itanium/RHEL3 (which is not an officially supported platform, I know),
there are problems building packages that use the openpkg c++ compiler. The
linker doesn't automatically link in libunwind, so there are many undefined
references like this:

/openpkg/bin/../lib/gcc/ia64-unknown-linux-gnu/3.4.2/libstdc++.a(ios_init.o)
(.text._ZNSt8ios_base4InitC1Ev+0x9d2): In function
`std::ios_base::Init::Init()':
/openpkg/RPM/TMP/gcc-3.4.2/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/new:96: undefined reference
to `_Unwind_Resume'

It seems to me that within the configuration of libstdc++ (while building
openpkg gcc), libunwind is detected and thus used, but that this information
is not promoted to the final linker configuration.

Manually adding -lunwind to otherwise failing compile/link commands, or
removing libunwind from the system and rebuilding openpgk gcc both work, but I
would prefer a more clean solution. Any suggestions? Maybe gcc has to be
patched?

Thanks,
Thomas