Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 23, 2005, Thomas Moschny wrote:
>
>> Again, I have problems rebuilding the subversion package. With the
>> standard specfile no usable binaries could be created on our ia64-rhel3
>> system and this seems due to problems with neon.
>>
>> Some time ago, I proposed to add --with-neon=%{l_prefix} in order to use
>> OpenPKG's neon, but in OpenPKG 2.4 the neon package is at version 0.25.0,
>> and svn refuses to work with that.
>> [...]
>
> This I don't understand. The "subversion" package is a BASE class
> package and hence demonstrably built fine on all major platforms. So
> it has to be compatible with the "neon" package from OpenPKG 2.4. What
> particular error did you get?

In fact I saw a mixture of two effects. The binaries are usable, but they lack
support for http and https repository access, because libsvn_ra_dav isn't
build, and that in turn is due to the version problem. Here's the relevant
part of the configure output:

[...]
configure: checking neon library
checking neon library version... 0.25.0
You have neon version 0.25.0,
but Subversion needs neon 0.24.7.

An appropriate version of neon could not be found, so libsvn_ra_dav
will not be built.  If you want to build libsvn_ra_dav, please either
install neon 0.24.7 on this system

or

get neon 0.24.7 from:
    http://www.webdav.org/neon/neon-0.24.7.tar.gz
unpack the archive using tar/gunzip and rename the resulting
directory from ./neon-0.24.7/ to ./neon/

no suitable neon found
[...]

$ svn --version
svn, version 1.2.0 (r14790)
   compiled Jun 23 2005, 23:56:22
[...]
The following repository access (RA) modules are available:

* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
  - handles 'svn' scheme
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
  - handles 'file' scheme

$ cd working-copy; svn up
svn: Unrecognized URL scheme for 'https://...<snipped>...'

So there is definitely a problem. I consider support for those protocols vital
for the subversion package. My patch attached to the first message solves
this.

And just for the record: On our system, we had a subversion installed as part
of the OS. Now, while desperately looking for the ra_dav support, the OpenPKG
svn found /usr/lib/libsvn_ra_dav.so , couldn't load it due to missing
symbols, and stopped immediately with an error. Hence my claim that the
"binaries are not usable".

Regards,
Thomas