On Fri, Jul 22, 2005, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Fri, Jul 22, 2005, Stephen AuYeung wrote:
>
>> Does anyone knows why running openpkg rpm -U or -i causes the scanning of
>> /etc/
>> mtab? I found that by doing a strace to the command. The same does not happen
>> in the system rpm.
>>
>> FYI, I am running OpenPKG 2.3.1 on FC3.
>
>As no OpenPKG-specific part does this, it is certainly an RPM internal
>thing. AFAIK RPM checks the filesystem for enough free space (and also
>errs on this often). The scanning of /etc/mtab might be caused by a
>function libc call RPM performs.

I ran into a problem that could explain this.  In my case, the build
process was hanging for long periods of time while applying patches.  I
finally figured out what was going on by running strace on the long hanging
process, finding that it was looking for amd automounted directories on a
machine that wasn't on the network.  After a bit of digging, I found that
the ``patch'' program looks for the directories/files mentioned in each
patches header.

Patch's behaviour also can cause problems if there's an version of an
original comparison directory present different than the one used to
generate the patch.  Thus if I have a directory, foo, and generate the
patch from ../foo.orig, patch will be confused when applying the patch if
there's a ../foo.orig directory different than the one from which the patch
was created.

Normally I generate patches with ``diff -uNr ../foo.orig . > patchfile''.
I probably used ``diff -uNr $PWD.orig . > patchfile'' to create the
problem with the amd automounter.

Bill

``The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of
one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that
oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the
beginning if it is to be stopped at all.'' -- H. L. Mencken