On Fri, Sep 09, 2005, Christopher Chan wrote:

> Is there a way I can configure openpkg to name the rpms from
> ix86,suse9.3 to ix86.kernel2.6? Basically, using a naming of
> architecture class and system technology (in openpkg terminology).

No, it is not configurable but one can hack the sources, of course.

We intentionally use the product and not the technology for the OS,
as technology identifications like linux2.6 today would match mostly
all Linux distributions. Yes, I guess that's your intention: to allow
packages to be accepted on all Linux distros. But forget it: even they
are using more or less the same Linux kernel and try to stick to things
like LSB, the differences are large enough that lots of binary packages
can _NOT_ be shared between them.

> If possible, are there any consequences of making such a change?

You would no longer be able to distinguish between the various Linux
distributions as they all use more or less the same Linux kernel.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com