On Fri, Sep 23, 2005, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Fri, Sep 23, 2005, Doug Henry wrote:
>
>> I was happy to see that webmin is in current now.  I am wondering why many
>> modules seem to be left out (e.g. nfs exports, samba)?  I assume it is
>> because
>> this package is young and possibly not configured correctly, but I think most
>> of those modules are standard issue, so some work must have went in to
>> removing
>> them.
>
>Yes, AFAIK until now nobody has really massaged the "webmin" package at
>all. So it comes more or less with its default extend only. Feel free to
>improve it and contribute your changes.

It just so happens that I've been working extensively with webmin, and its
sister package, usermin, for the last several weeks.

I'm modifying various things to understand the OpenPKG package locations,
startup etc., and backing out some of the changes that had been made to
remove the underlying system knowledge since webmin can be very useful to
manage the vendor's things that aren't being done with OpenPKG.

Another thing I've done is to patch some of the useradmin routines to
better check $HOME directories when doing maintenance as I've had problems
at ISP installations using webmin where it happily moved the entire /home
directory into a user's directory or removed everything under /home.  I'm
planning on sending that patch back to the maintainers as soon as I'm at a
stopping point.

Bill
--
INTERNET:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
UUCP:              camco!bill   PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way

"There strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and
 bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny
 in government." --1 Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334 (C.J.Boyd, Ed.,1950)