Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
On Fri, Dec 16, 2005, Doug Summers wrote:

Using RHEL 3.0 w/NIS (compat mode for use with netgroups)...

I use a combination of NIS (/etc/passwd, not /etc/shadow) and OpenAFS
(authentication). The openpkg ID's I use are passed through NIS. I was
able to get ProFTPD to see my NIS UID's but the daemon won't start with
an UID that's not local to the system. Changing the user/group to ftp
works and is no big deal, but just a heads-up.

Perhaps your using NIS just via nsswitch.conf or a mechanism similar to
this. AFAIK ProFTPD performs some passwd/group pre-loading tricks to not
require file duplications in the chroot(2) environment. This could mean
that instead of nssswitch.conf you have to use the old-style "+:::::::"
entries in passwd/group to activate NIS/YP and to let it play nice with
ProFTPD. But this is just a wild guess....

Actually that's what I'm doing:

/etc/passwd
[EMAIL PROTECTED]:x:::::

/etc/nsswitch.conf