On Mon, Feb 13, 2006, Adam D. Morley wrote:

> I have an OpenPKG 2.4 installation on sparc64-solaris9 that seems to
> segfault on upgrading gcc to 2.5.0 (order of upgrade I did was: openpkg
> -> 2.5.1, make, binutils):
> [...]
> `../build-sparc-sun-solaris2.9/libiberty/libiberty.a(hashtab.o)' is
> incompatible with sparc output
> /opt/openpkg/bin/ld: warning: sparc:v9 architecture of input file
> `../build-sparc-sun-solaris2.9/libiberty/libiberty.a(xmalloc.o)' is
> incompatible with sparc output
> /opt/openpkg/bin/ld: warning: sparc:v9 architecture of input file
> `../build-sparc-sun-solaris2.9/libiberty/libiberty.a(xstrdup.o)' is
> incompatible with sparc output
> /opt/openpkg/bin/ld: warning: sparc:v9 architecture of input file
> `../build-sparc-sun-solaris2.9/libiberty/libiberty.a(xexit.o)' is
> incompatible with sparc output
> build/genmodes -h > tmp-modes.h
> /opt/openpkg/lib/openpkg/bash: line 1: 22078 Segmentation Fault
> (core dumped) build/genmodes -h >tmp-modes.h
> make[2]: *** [s-modes] Error 139
> make[1]: *** [stage1_build] Error 2
> make: *** [bootstrap-lean] Error 2
> error: Bad exit status from /opt/openpkg/RPM/TMP/rpm-tmp.17369 (%build)
>
> RPM build errors:
>     Bad exit status from /opt/openpkg/RPM/TMP/rpm-tmp.17369 (%build)
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] gcc]#
> [...]
> (is there a place where the make outputs go so I can post those too?)

No, you can just capture what is displayed on the screen or look into
files like config.log (not in your case).

> This is on the build machine itself.  What's odd is that it seems
> openpkg is usuing 64-bit gcc for the build, when I thought gcc in opkg
> 2.4 didn't work with 64bit compiles (I only think this because I don't
> remember lsof building right with gcc on 2.4, but I might be thinking of
> an older version).
>
> Anybody else seen this?  Should I downgrade binutils and make to 2.4.0
> and upgrade gcc first?

Yes, it _could_ be an issue with having already newer GNU binutils but
still the older GCC during building the newer GCC. Downgrading GNU make
will certainly not make any differences but downgrading GNU binutils
could be worth a try. Please try it out.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com