Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
On Mon, Apr 30, 2007, Dan wrote:

 Doug Summers wrote:
David M. Fetter wrote:
I have to agree.  I was going to grab the 2-Stable from Feb but I found
that it was gone.  :-(  Oh well.  We're adapting the best we can.

On Sun, 2007-04-29 at 11:19 -0700, Doug Summers wrote:
Now that OpenPKG-STABLE has been removed and only OpenPKG-CURRENT is
available how can we access older versions when the new ones won't work?
I'm stuck with openssh & perl-util not working on RHEL4-AMD64 and I have
no way to go back.

Ralph - any chance of bringing the old files back? It wasn't too long ago
that every release was still available going back to at least version 1.1.
I can understand removing the binaries but not the source files.
 I can't understand removing _all_ the binaries.  Maybe the oldest versions
 that are way beyond utility, but the previous few versions?

OpenPKG CURRENT free of charge provides bleeding edge software to
developers and as a return receives their feedback and contributions to
further improve the OpenPKG package base. That's a fair trade IMHO.

E1.0-SOLID on the other hand commercially provides rock solid packages
to professionals for their production setups and as a return OpenPKG
receives financial compensation which allows the further development of
CURRENT and E1.X-SOLID. That's also a fair trade IMHO.

This way OpenPKG can deliver both development and production
environments with the still extremely constrainted resources OpenPKG has
available.

Providing old 2-STABLE or even 2.X-RELEASE any longer (either as source
or even binary packages) is a major problem: as history clearly shows,
if it is downloadable it is also used -- even in production environments
and with questions raised in case of problems. People even installed and
registered freshly the ancient OpenPKG 2.X-SOLID packages just a few
weeks ago.

This way people _neither_ help OpenPKG through a CURRENT contribution
(by fixing an existing problem theirself) _nor_ a E1.0-SOLID purchase
(by letting the problem being fixed by us).

If the financial constraints for OpenPKG would be less, offering old
stuff OpenPKG no longer benefits from would be totally harmless and
certainly would be done again. I'm _personally_ would be more than happy
to provide this. But in the current situation we are forced to offer
only things OpenPKG really benefits from. Anything else we can not
afford at this time.

Hence it is very important that as a return to what OpenPKG provides,
OpenPKG users really focus on _either_ supporting OpenPKG by purchasing
the E1.0-SOLID branch or supporting OpenPKG by actively contributing to
CURRENT.

Open Source software is not a one-way street where just a few offer and
many take. Open Source software is about freedom aspects on one side
and as a return about active compensation via sharing and contributing
between all on the other side.

Hence, it just doesn't work in the long-term (for any Open Source
software offering, not just OpenPKG) that one puts efforts into an
offering like 2-STABLE without receiving at least a reasonable amount
of contributing or financial compensation (directly or indirectly). For
2-STABLE this compensation was nearly zero and hence it finally had to
be dropped by us at all.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com

PS: We just no longer offer the source packages to be downloaded.
    Nevertheless, in case you really need any old source package, it
    can be still re-rolled by yourself, of course. OpenPKG is Open
    Source and fully version controlled. Setup a development environment
    according to http://www.openpkg.org/development/environment.php and
    then if you want for instance the "apache" package as of February
    20th, 2007, just do:

        $ openpkg dev
        $ cd apache
        $ cvs up -D 2007-02-20
        $ opd fe
        $ opd bs

    This results in a fresh apache-1.3.37-20070208.src.rpm which was
    the latest version as of February 20th, 2007. By switching to
    CVS branches, this way you even can re-roll any 2-STABLE or even
    2.X-SOLID or 1.X-SOLID packages ;-) The OpenPKG CVS contains the
    _whole_ OpenPKG Community history since OpenPKG 1.0-RELEASE.

OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org
Ralph - this solution is perfect, thank you. I already had a test machine built so adding the dev environment was no big deal.
OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org