Doug Summers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> >>  POSTFIX
> >>  This package (like many others) assumes IBM's XLC compiler and fails
> >> unless
> >>  -Duse_cc=gcc is used. This should be forced for AIX.
> > Hmmm... this unfortunately is a problem. If we force it to use GCC
> > this means all AIX users have to be a vendor GCC installed. Although I
> > think this might be the case anyway, it at least is a strange external
> > dependency. Perhaps it is better to just locally ensure that the OpenPKG
> > "gcc" package is always present in your instances under AIX?

> The problem with postfix (this has been happened for a long time now)
> is that the default build doesn't try to use GCC on AIX and assumes an
> IBM compiler. I find that I need to add -Duse_cc=gcc on perl as well
> for the same reasons. I think GCC should be a build pre-req on AIX for
> both of these packages. Also, when I build postfix it's always after I
> build gcc but it doesn't matter. It even ignores the IBM RPM version
> of GCC I have installed that's symlinked to /usr/bin/gcc.

If POSTFIX is assuming xlc rather than looking for gcc then it should not
be too difficult to ask the upstream author (Wietse Venema) to adjust the
build procedure to look for (or work with) gcc on AIX.  Since gcc is
provided by IBM as (part of various RPMS) to work with AIX it should be
reasonably easy to convince him (if a patch is provided) to support this.

I haven't yet looked at getting postfix built on AIX but it is certainly
one of the OpenPKG packages I'd like to use.

Simon
OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org