Hmmm. really strange, make complains that he does not know how to build
miniperlmain.o, but it's already been built ..

[EMAIL PROTECTED] perl-5.8.8.test]# ls -l miniperlmain.o
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 1544 May 17 17:55 miniperlmain.o

[EMAIL PROTECTED] perl-5.8.8.test]# make
make: *** No rule to make target `<command-line>', needed by `miniperlmain.o'. Stop.

GNU make chapter 16 says:

`No rule to make target `xxx', needed by `yyy'.'
This means that make decided it needed to build a target, but then couldn't find any instructions in the makefile on how to do that, either explicit or implicit (including in the default rules database).

If you want that file to be built, you will need to add a rule to your makefile describing how that target can be built. Other possible sources of this problem are typos in the makefile (if that filename is wrong) or a corrupted source tree (if that file is not supposed to be built, but rather only a prerequisite).

Now really puzzled about which problem we have .. corrupted source tree,
what does this mean ? any help greatly apreciated :-)

Olivier Kaloudoff