As I was building the latest samba rpm for the security issue, I noticed
that there were a couple of incorrect dependencies...

The first is that it required "openpkg >= 20060823", which is not true.
It doesn't seem to have any specific relation to which version of
openpkg that is being used.  Specifically, I had to modify the spec file
so that it would build for our 2.3 openpkg systems.  We are working on
replacing these with a newer version of openpkg but we're still at least
6-9 months away from replacing all of our servers.  In any case,
changing the openpkg version requirement had no ill effect and worked
with no issue.  Putting a specific version requirement in place such as
this seems to artificially create a dependency that really isn't true
and in turn could cause some grief in the long run, though perhaps not
significant grief.

The second is that this new samba does require the latest kerberos-1.6
version, but this isn't listed as a requirement at all.  It took me a
little bit to determine that I should rebuild the latest kerberos from
current prior to rebuilding the latest samba, which then in turn made
samba build successfully.  Including requirements such as this would be
highly useful because it would eliminate time spent to troubleshoot why
it isn't building when it's simply a BuildPreReq.

In any case, I just wanted to point this out.  It isn't really totally
specific to samba, nor is it an openpkg specific dilemma.  I do realize
that this is more of a global rpm dilemma, however, since openpkg is
essentially improving rpm I thought it's worth bringing up.

--
David M. Fetter - UNIX Systems Administrator
Portland State University - www.oit.pdx.edu