Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
On Wed, Jun 06, 2007, Doug Summers wrote:

 to 'openpkg rpm -Uvh'):

 [EMAIL PROTECTED] /openpkg/RPM/PKG]$ opkg-i
 openpkg-20070520-20070520.powerpc-aix5.1-ope.rpm
 error: failed to open /etc/mtab: No such file or directory
 Preparing...                ###########################################
 [100%]
    1:openpkg                ###########################################
 [100%]
 rpmdb: unknown type: 0
 error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
 error: cannot open Packages database in /openpkg/RPM/DB
 error: /openpkg/etc/openpkg/openpkg.org.pgp: import failed.
 rpmdb: unknown type: 0
 error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
 error: cannot open Packages database in /openpkg/RPM/DB
 error: /openpkg/etc/openpkg/openpkg.com.pgp: import failed.
 rpmdb: unknown type: 0
 error: cannot open Packages index using db3 - Invalid argument (22)
 error: cannot open Packages database in /openpkg/RPM/DB
 error: /openpkg/etc/openpkg/openpkg.net.pgp: import failed.

 Haven't tried yet on AIX 5.2 or 5.3, although my builds on RHEL4-I386 &
 RHEL4-AMD64 work fine.
Seems like the RPM database corrupted for unknown reasons. Run "ls -l
/openpkg/RPM/DB/" too see whether your RPM database is still there and
then try running "openpkg rpm --db-rebuild" for fixing this.

Still not working with yesterday's updates. Anything else I can try? I went
through the build on AIX 5.3 and nothing seems out of the ordinary.
 After sending I decided to check the last part of the build that was still
 in memory and found this right after RPM was built:

 + echo ++ initializing RPM database
 ++ initializing RPM database
 + /tmp/openpkg-20070605-root/openpkg/lib/openpkg/bash
 /tmp/openpkg-20070605-root/openpkg/lib/openpkg/rpmdb
 --prefix=/tmp/openpkg-20070605-root/openpkg
 --dbpath=/tmp/openpkg-20070605-root/openpkg/RPM/DB --rpm=/tmp/rpm --build
 --quiet
 --initdb: mutually exclusive logical operations requested
 rpmdb: unknown type: 0
[...]

From my point of view I would say the RPM DB got trashed. I don't know
why. And AFAIK you already tried "openpkg rpm --db-rebuild" which
usually goes through a complete dump & restore procedure. As it still
doesn't work, the only possibility seems to be to re-install the
whole instance from scratch. But I've to say that in the last 7 years
I've never seen such a hard crash of the RPM DB, although I myself
have seen a few times where one has to rebuild it with "openpkg rpm
--db-rebuild" in order to resurrect it. I've never seen that a from
scratch re-installation is required. But I've no clue why the RPM DB is
such trashed here. BTW, have you once run "file /openpkg/RPM/DB/*"?

You should see something similar to this:

/openpkg/RPM/DB/Basenames:      Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Conflictname:   Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Depends:        Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Dirnames:       Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Filemd5s:       Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Group:          Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Installtid:     Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Name:           Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Packages:       Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Providename:    Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Provideversion: Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Pubkeys:        Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Requirename:    Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Requireversion: Berkeley DB (Btree, version 9, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Sha1header:     Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Sigmd5:         Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Tags:           PalmOS application "openssh     base system
applica"
/openpkg/RPM/DB/Triggername:    Berkeley DB (Hash, version 8, little-endian)

Exept for the "little-endian" and perhaps the incorrect "PalmOS [...]"
your output should look similar. If this is not the case, the DB files
got already garbled. If they look ok, please check "openpkg rpm -Vf
/openpkg/lib/openpkg/macros" to make sure the DB related RPM macros are
not trashed. If this all is ok, well, then a full re-install seems to be
the only thing one can do here. Although this is really the first time
ever that I see an OpenPKG instance which had to be reinstalled from
scratch...

I'm trying a clean install of the latest OpenPKG-CURRENT now to see if it makes any difference. I guess the biggest issue for me is that this is only happening on AIX, but it's happening on all 4 versions of AIX I support. I built a version from 4/11/2007 and I'm going to build it to see if I can figure out what the difference(s) are.
OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org