On Thu, Jun 07, 2007 at 09:10:26PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 07, 2007, Doug Summers wrote:
>
> >  Besides the "error: failed to open /etc/mtab" messages (which are no big
> >  deal) AIX doesn't have /etc/init.d. Can you add symlinking /etc/rc.d/init.d
> >  to /etc/init.d?
>
> So, you mean there is no /etc/init.d but a /etc/rc.d/init.d?
> Ok, then we should not symlink /etc/rc.d/init.d to /etc/init.d,
> but instead place _our_ stuff into just /etc/rc.d/init.d.
> But where is the rc2.d dir under AIX? Can you provide me
> with the output of the following command, please:
>
> $ ls -l /etc/init.d /etc/rc.d/init.d
> $ ls -l /etc/rc?.d /etc/rc.d/rc?.d /etc/init.d/rc?.d
>
> I have to make sure that we correctly symlink from
> the init.d dir to the rc2.d dir.

In AIX you have

/etc/rc.d/init.d/

/etc/rc.d/rc2.d/
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d/
/etc/rc.d/rc4.d/
/etc/rc.d/rc5.d/
/etc/rc.d/rc6.d/
/etc/rc.d/rc7.d/
/etc/rc.d/rc8.d/
/etc/rc.d/rc9.d/

all empty on a standard system.

The script /etc/rc.d/rc is called by init for the specific run level
and executes the S* or K* scripts in the appropriate directory
for the run level.

You may place your start/stop-Scripts in /etc/rc.d/init.d
and place links in /etc/rc.d/rc?.d/.

Greetings,
--
                                Michael van Elst