On Thu, May 15, 2008, Jeremy Lewi wrote:

>    I'm installing openpkg for the first time. I followed the instructions
> on http://www.openpkg.org/documentation/tutorial/. After running the script
> to produce the binary shell package, the files produced had a suffix
> "amd64-rhel14-openpkg."  My architecture however is x86_64 as I have an
> Xeon processor. Does this indicate a problem and is there a way to
> correctly specify the target?

No, the architecture is correct: AMD64 is the marketing/technology name
of the original vendor of the x86 64-bit technology while x86_64 is the
identifier the Linux kernel uses for this platform. They are the same!
It is just a little bit obscure and partly historical that even Intel
Xeon's are today labeled with AMD64. OTOH it is not such incorrect as
one thinks on the first spot as the 64-bit extension "EMT64" the Xeons
use is AFAIK a licensed technology originally coming from AMD's AMD64
platform. But you have no problem, the architecture is just fine.

For some more background: it is important for GNU shtool (the tool doing
the detection) to _NOT_ distinguish between ix86+EMT64 and AMD64 because
they two are really mostly identical -- both for the OS and even more
for OpenPKG. If GNU shtool would label one "amd64" and the other e.g.
"ix64" (or whatever) all packages would have to recognize both, although
technically there would be no single reason. So, I do not plan to change
GNU shtool here...

Currently, you can't specify the target manually as until now nobody
ever wanted to do this (as the determined platform is usually correct).
The branding in case of the "x86 / 64-bit" platform is just a little
historical accident ;-)

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com