After a little experimenting, I found that adding these expressions to
the "shtool subst" modifications of the configure script in the %prep
section of gd.spec seem to be enough to remove the "automatic" discovery
of the XPM libs (at least under RHEL4):

        -e 's;[ \t]*/usr/X11R6/include;;g' \
        -e 's;[ \t]*/usr/include/X11;;g' \

regards,