On Mon, Jan 04, 2010, Steeve McCauley wrote:

> There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of documentation out
> there that is specific to openpkg-4, correct me if I'm wrong but
> it seems that the openpkg.org site is still related to the rpm 4.x
> based distro.

Yes, we are still busy with download.openpkg.org.
Once everything is done the website will be updated, too.

> I know I'm not really a high priority as a single home user who
> runs openpkg to keep his firewall packages up to date regardless
> of which distro is installed, but I'm a little concerned about what
> the restrictions on the COMMUNITY license are.  I don't mind
> upgrading packages, but was wondering if this is going to be
> automatic or if one must be sure to run upgrades frequently to
> avoid packages going out of date.  My main concern is this
> sttaement,
>
> "Only those OSS packages listed or newer can be run."

Well, COMMUNITY contains the name-version-release information of
all packages and runs for about 1-2 months. So, if you manually or
automatically (think about a cron(8) job here) upgrade your OpenPKG
instances running the COMMUNITY license on a frequent interval of about
2-4 weeks, you are just fine and don't have to do anything manually
yourself. The COMMUNITY license technically does actually just check for
90% of your packages, so it is even fine if you have up to 10% custom
(not known and hence not listed) packages mixed in or if (for whatever
reasons) you can't upgrade some packages.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       r...@engelschall.com
                                       www.engelschall.com

OpenPKG                                             http://openpkg.org