AVM,

     In my 5+1 setup, when I have the standby node open all the
checkpoints and read from them, as well as open the hot-standby
callback, the section creates done on the other active nodes can take a
very long time.  (For 40k sections, it can sometimes take over 2 minutes).

     Once the sections have been created, however, subsequent writes and
overwrites are very fast.  (Writing 1k data into 40k sections takes 10
seconds).

     But, if I don't open the checkpoints on the standby, the section
creates on the active nodes are fast (about 22 seconds for 40k
sections), and the write and overwrite performance is basically unchanged.

     This suggests that there is some kind of synchronous mechanism
going on between replicas when creating sections.

     Can you explain why I am seeing this performance degradation when
creating sections when a standby replica is opened, but there is no
performance hit for writing and overwriting?

     Thanks!

Alex