From: A V Mahesh [mailto:mahesh.va...@oracle.com]
Sent: den 2 juni 2014 09:20
To: Hans Feldt
Cc: opensaf-devel@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [opensaf:tickets] #654 MDS improvements

Hi Hans,
On 5/20/2014 12:36 AM, Hans Feldt wrote:

Next steps:
- Set DEST_DROPPABLE=False
What are we planning  to achieve ?  if it is only for Loging , we already have
`i_msg_loss_indication` flag
which is  part of svc_install , if enabled  any message is lost a callback of
type
MDS_CALLBACK_MSG_LOSS is  delivered to application.
[Hans] DEST_DROPPABLE works on the sending node whereas MDS_CALLBACK_MSG_LOSS
works on the receiving node. So I guess they can just complement each other?
We can never have too much info...

 IMMA already enabled this.

- Explore TIPC Multicast for MDS broadcast
This will be addressed in #851  ( http://sourceforge.net/p/opensaf/tickets/851)
[Hans] OK let's use this ticket to be explicit about the change. I did a quick
HACK and got it to work! The question is how can it be done properly?

-AVM

________________________________

[tickets:#654]<http://sourceforge.net/p/opensaf/tickets/654/> MDS improvements

Milestone: 4.5.FC
Created: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:26 AM UTC by Hans Feldt
Last Updated: Mon May 19, 2014 07:04 PM UTC
Owner: Hans Feldt

Identified short comings:

*      MDS does not use the segmentation/reassembly support in the underlying
transport protocol. For example TIPC accepts messages upto 66000 bytes

*      The built in segmentation/reassembly is totally insecure, lost fragments
are not retransmitted and the complete message is dropped (without users
knowledge)

*      In TIPC mode DEST_DROPPABLE is not used at all. This means that messages
can be silently dropped at a receiving node at congestion.

Suggested improvements:
1) Introduce a variable fragmentation limit when sending messages. This needs
to be based on information received at service discovery. If the sender is
"old" use the classic 1400 byte limit. If the sender is new, first use TIPCs
segmentation/reassembly and then the MDS one.

2) Configure DEST_DROPPABLE=False and use returned messages for diagnostics (as
a first step). That means only for logging purposes and not for retransmission
(which is not possible since messages are not stored in a send queue)

I have working prototype patches for both. Will send out them shortly.

Using TIPC segmentation/reassembly gives a number of advantages:
- reduced risk of link congestion on sending node since TIPC counts messages
not bytes
- secure transport of large messages, TIPC handles retransmission
- possibly improved characteristics due to implicit use of Ethernet jumbo frames

Long term we should consider if MDS segmentation/reassembly can be removed.
Sending large messages should really be using stream sockets.