Nils Larsch wrote:
Chaskiel M Grundman wrote:

It seems like a bad idea to blindly use the first app listed in EF(DIR)

this raises the question on how to choose which application to use
on a multi-application smart card.  As a short term solution we might
simply select the first application (as most cards today are single
application cards).

This also applies to the NIST 800-73-1 PIV cards. The default
application will have an AID "A0 00 00 03 08 00 00 10 00 01 00"
The pkcs15-piv.c checks for this. But other applications can be
on the card.

A better solution IMHO might be to implement a
callback mechanism for the application selection (for example some
kind of a pop-up window which asks the user which application to use
if someone open our pkcs11 with firefox etc. ...).

How could you work this via the PKCS#15 or PKCS#11? A pop up
is operating system dependent.

With Firefox could you register seperate plugins for different
applications on the card? This then allows the user to select
via FireFox methods.

Cheers,
Nils

 Douglas E. Engert  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>