On 27.11.2006, at 22:24, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:

While in my webmail site, I need to select a certificate almost very
time I select an item... This is bad... Even I cannot work with it.

Check your webserver coniguration and SSL session timeout. Mozilla only asks for a certificate when the SSL session on the server has 'expired' meaning It needs to re-negotiate. The default with mod_ssl was 5 minutes IIRC. If you have a very special configuration, you can of course get the dialogue on every request (when you reset the session)

Users will get more than a list of "Hay... I am working with
smartcard", I argue with the "working" term.

As I've said before: I tend to look at the stuff from eID point of view - the 'smartcard' is not a sexy word at all as when you have 1 million average joes and grandmammas as your possible users of smartcards, they don't know more than 'PIN1 is like in the ATM' and 'I must not give PIN2 (legally binding digital signature) unless I know what is going on'.

So in the end the real enduser just takes the app that gets the stuff done and only hackers and crackers look for 'so what else can i do with the card... ?' and come up with fancy stuff. I see smartcards not a purpose in itself but a piece of infrastructure. You can create lots of 'smartcard applications' but unless there is something practical to do with it, nobody uses it.

In theory, all software that can in some way make use of asymmetric crypto, can use smartcards. We might 'see the problem', document a better and brighter future, enlighten developers and offer ready solutions to some of the problem that plague the 'smartcard usability with daily applications'.

That's a hell of a task....

--
Martin Paljak / [EMAIL PROTECTED]
martin.paljak.pri.ee / ideelabor.ee