Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
Thomas Harning Jr. wrote:
Now for my patching/licensing question:
  In the headers of the files I notice copyright notices of developers.
What sort of patch contribution is expected in order to get in that
list?  Thanks!

very good question!

if you add something to a file that has copyright, please add your
copyright statement as well. so the hard question is: what kind of
change has a copyright? fixing a typo does not. or a trivial bugfix.
but a big and complex work of course has. I'd say: if you think "everyone would have done it this way" then it is trivial and has
no copyright. otherwise, please make sure each patch you send also
adds or updates a copyright line in the file header of all affected
files.

you can also see it from the other side: if someone finds that code,
and wants to get it under a different license for some reason. who
should that person need to ask? the answer is: the people listed
in the header with copyright notices. so if you think that you should
be one of those, deciding whether someone can have they file under
a different license or not, then you should add yourself to the file.

is this position ok for everyone? maybe we should even document it somewhere? also, everyone might want to check all the files you worked
with and if you added yourself properly. if you forgot, feel free to
do that now.

honestly I would prefer something like:
"Copyright (c) <year> The OpenSC Project. " with an optional
"[Originally] Written by <author> for the OpenSC Project." line
to give proper credit. I don't know if this possible from a
legal perspective (what is the opensc project ? etc.) but nonetheless
I already have added such a line in opensc.h some time ago ;-) .

Cheers,
Nils