On Thursday 15 February 2007 12:02 am, Ludovic Rousseau wrote:
> On 14/02/07, Justin Karneges <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > There would appear to be a standard for #1.  I don't remember what it is
> > called, but it involves the ATR and then T=0 or 1 and friends.
>
> I think you are talking about ISO 7816-3 "Identification cards --
> Integrated circuit cards -- Part 3: Cards with contacts -- Electrical
> interface and transmission protocols"

Ah yes, thanks. :)

> > However, my
> > experience with hacking on the Eutron driver showed that that either
> > there are still vendor-specific issues (bugs? workarounds?) to iron out,
> > or OpenCT is simply incomplete.
>
> You should describe your problem.

On the Eutron driver, we had to do some fixing of the transmission protocol
code.  I guess I figured by now if the transmission protocols were
standardized, and OpenSC had existed for years already, then this would not
be code that needs repair...

> > For #2 we have CCID.  This seems to be about the only thing we can count
> > on to work.  Can anyone correct me?
>
> It depends on what you call "the only thing we can count on to work"
> I agree that CCID simplify the use of smart card readers since the
> same driver can be used by many readers.

My impression of ISO 7816 and PKCS#15 is that they do not fully describe their
scope (that, or vendors deviate on purpose).  It is not enough for me to say,
okay, this Eutron card is ISO 7816 and PKCS#15 capable, and OpenSC is ISO
7816 and PKCS#15 capable, therefore the two will work together.  No, it
really becomes: does OpenSC support this particular Eutron card?  So much for
standards.

This is simply my impression.  If I am wrong, that is great news.

CCID, on the other hand, sounds like it works as expected.

> > For #3 we have PKCS#15.  Why this only applies to reading, I don't know,
> > but 99% of smart card applications are read-only so this is still a very
> > worthy standard, if it works as advertised that is.  Are there any known
> > cases where PKCS#15 software has been incompatible for read access?
>
> Be more specific in your question.

Is there a case where a card is called PKCS#15 compliant, yet different
software cannot read/use the card?

> > And then there's ICCD.  I briefly looked at the usb.org PDF file, and
> > indeed it does look like a standard for integrated USB crypto tokens.  It
> > is dated April 2005.  Does anyone know what is going on with this
> > specification, or if any devices are in development for it?
>
> Some devices using ICCD are already available. Axalto has an ICCD
> e-gate for example. I don't know the exact commercial name.

http://www.axalto.com/access/smartcards/egate.asp

The marketing suggests that their goal is to have something highly compliant,
which is very good to see.  They claim ISO 7816 compatibility (although, I
wonder why this noteworthy: don't all smart chips use ISO 7816?).

No mention of CCID or ICCD.  However, they claim USB as being half of the
reason the card is universal, so I'd assume this means at least CCID.

-Justin