Andreas,

my idea is to support PKCS#11 interface on both sides... Thus nothing
actually gets simpler... Just keep standard while providing singe
sign-on and more secure environment.

I am strongly against developing a new API for application to use...
"full feature store".

The application will load proxy PKCS#11 which will forward all
requests to a daemon.
The daemon will load several PKCS#11 provider and expose them to the
application as if they were a single provider.

The only functionality the daemon will use is PIN management.

This way application will be required to support PKCS#11 and only PKCS#11.
If the user chooses he can load the smartcard provider into
application or he can use the daemon in order to provide SSO.

For CAPI... I've seen implementations of PKCS#11 which can access CAPI
stores... And it this will be the problem, I can develop one too...

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.