Yes you are right, almost no one is using MGF1.

But the passports in Sweden has to be signed with MGF1 signing. We made an
application to the Swedish Police that is using smartcards for this. But this
is a java app so we got no use of opensc. Instead we have a java crypro
provider for the signing capable of handling pkcs15 cards.
My point is just that signing keys on cards should be capable of signing with
any algorithm. Maybe someone states that a signing of a document has to be done
with MGF1 in order to be accepted as a legal. Then only new client SW is
needed. All issued cards could be kept.

Regards, Lars