On 10/08/07, Dennis van Dok <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi,

Hello,

> The engine_pkcs11 software (version 0.1.3) compiles and builds nicely on
> my Intel MacBook. Now I want to generate a 'universal binary', which
> means that I have to pass the flag '-arch ppc' to gcc to generate
> PowerPC binaries. I'm trying to do this by setting CFLAGS accordingly
> prior to running configure.
>
> Unfortunately, the libtool script provided with engine_pkcs11 *drops*
> the -arch option from the command-line when called with --mode=link.

Apple has a Technical Note [1] about this problem. The solution, as
you wrote, is to use something like:
$ CFLAGS="-O -g -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -arch i386
-arch ppc" LDFLAGS="-arch i386 -arch ppc" ./configure
--disable-dependency-tracking

> I'm currently pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I can do to
> make this work in a fashion that won't disgrace the build system.

I also had the same problem with the built tools trying to do a
universal binary. I discovered that I used too old version of libtool.
The versions I had on Mac OS X (using fink I guess) was too old to
support universal binary (the .o files where universal but the final
.dylib was not).

I suggest you to upgrade all your automake, autoconf, libtool, etc.
tools to the latest versions.
You can also generate the configure script on an well maintained
system (like an up to date Debian sid), use "make dist" and copy the
generated .tar.gz on your Mac.

bye

[1] http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn2005/tn2137.html

--