Hi Andreas,

thanks for your efforts to make documentation available.

right now I'm not aware of anyone with free time to write a new driver
for the smart cards inside iKey 4000.

I added a page documenting the situation at
http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/RainbowIkeyFour
http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc

not sure - shall we keep "Rainbow" in the name or rename it to "SafeNet"?
four or 4000? feel free to edit the text (everyone can do that after
registration and login). to rename the wiki page, please contact me.

> It would at least require an
> NDA to make the APDU level doc's available (the usuall stuff).

half of the smart card industry doesn't think that way - they release APDU
level documentation without any NDA. G&D Starcos, Schlumberger Cryptoflex,
Cyberflex, ACS ACOS5 to name a few. Others have at least basic information
available (while Siemens requires some NDA for CardOS M4, Aladdin has
documented many APDU commands for their eToken PRO using CardOS in
their own manual which is public).

> So once I get approval that we can proceed I would need somebody of the
> maintainers to sign it. As an alternative we're internally discussing to
> possibility to contribute the necessary development on our own.

that would be great, we are always happy to get new drivers for opensc,
and having a vendor support using opensc would help a lot.

Regards, Andreas