On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 8:00 PM, Alon Bar-Lev <alon.bar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I would prefer you discuss changing defaults and behavior in the list
> before you commit anything.
These are not functional behavior changes but "common sense" fixes to
things that currently don't behave as they were first implemented.
Please comment if you see it differently or if I broke something.

> Also, please don't commit anything to build system without asking me
> first, as I think I am more familiar with this subject than you.
Right, thanks for improving and reminding. The iconv detection was
simple yet it worked and was isolated well enough.

The goal is (and was, long time ago already) to let OpenSC work
without a configuration file. The configuration file used to be an
example that was distributed with source but somehow it became a
necessity that gets installed by default and contains operating values
which should already have sane defaults in the code.

One major remaining configuration file option, that brings havoc if
not set, is profile_dir. The included patch creates a #define to get
rid of it but I really don't get the "eval eval eval eval" thing :)
I'm sure there is a more correct way of doing it, as currently
pkgdatadir and full_pkgdatadir have no direct relation...

There are still some  options in the example configuration file (one
distributed with Ubuntu/Debian by default) that differ from code level
settings:
hide_empty_tokens (yes in config, no in code)
use_caching (true in config, false in code)

I don't have any strong opinions about these two, but they should be
sorted out as well - so that there would be no functional tunables
contradicting code level settings in the *example* configuration file.
My suggestion would be changing the example configuration files to
state the code defaults.

cheers,
--
Martin Paljak