I had the same problem some time ago and I could not explain why ./
configure wanted to run X for me on OSX and failed. I re-ran bootstrap
and everything started working again. I never investigated but I
though it was just a glitch that happened because of some actions I
forgot I took at some moment back in time.

m.

Martin Paljak
http://martin.paljak.pri.ee
+372.515.6495