Hi,

I'm an openSC user and in order to perform tests without breaking
smartcards I'm looking for a pkcs#11 software token.

To my knowledge their is at least 3 suitable implementations :
- soft pkcs#11 : but it just can do anything
- gpkcs#11 : that seems to be abandoned, since last changes was in 2000.
I compile it with the last version of GCC and so I need to modify few
lines of C code. When I finally succeed to compile it, the resulting
pkcs#11 library does'nt work very well : I can list slots and mechanisms
using pkcs11-tool but that's all, when I try to generate or create key
it fails : seg fault :-( . I try to contact the developpers last week
unsuccessfully.
- NSS soft-token that is a part of mozilla project. However it doesn't
work with standard PKCS#11 applications such as pkcs11-tool since
C_initialize must be called using particular parameters : see
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/FC_Initialize

So today I think that there is no software token that can be used with
opensc.
So to solve this problem their is at least 3 solutions :
-1 add an option to pkcs11-tool to allow NSS softtoken to be loaded
-2 make gpkcs#11 working and integrate it into openSC
-3 create a new project of soft-token inside openSC project (maybe by
reusing some parts of gpkcs11 code)

I can help to modify pkcs11-tool for the first solution. But I think
that is not a good solution since mozilla project is a big project and
building only the soft-token seems pretty difficult. So it is not easy
to modify the code of the soft token.
I can help also on gpkcs#11 if you think it should be integrated into
openSC.

Best regards

Benoît Badrignans