Hello Hannu,

Well, according to my experience, there are a number of well supported
cards that are easily available.

For example, the eToken 32K and 64K are well supported and you can
find them with really nice prices (~ $16 US) at ebay [1].
Another alternative, is practically any Java Card running the Muscle
applet [2]. Myself, and some people, are running the Muscle applet +
OpenSC with very recent Java cards and its working fine (e.g. the
eToken 72K engineering version and recent JCOP cards). Some older Java
cards are still available (e.g. Cyberflex, older JCOP cards, etc.).
Older cards that have excellent support in OpenSC, like the Cryptoflex
32K, are still available at [3].

Good luck.

João

[1] -