I just discovered that the tax authority Skatteverket in Sweden
issues national ID cards to "people registered for population
purposes in Sweden" since June 2009. So not only citizens, but all
registered residents.

This is not such a big deal in itself, all the banks and the Police
also issue national ID cards.

Many bank cards are smart cards and also come with a certificate from
one of a handful of CAs participating in the "e-legitimation"
program. They can be used for various governmental interaction and in
some cases also for bank interaction.

The Police issues the NIDEL card, which also shows citizenship and is
valid for travel within Schengen. NIDEL is a smart card which can be
loaded with certificates but it is issued without e-legitimation.
(Stupid!) There is a cumbersome special procedure and code neccessary
when applying for a certificate that should be stored on the card.
The details are available in Swedish.

The tax authority card on the other hand comes preloaded with an
e-legitimation from Telia.

Is there a matrix anywhere for the swedish e-leg cards? I'd like to
see that.

(Some of the e-leg CAs might issue an x509 file for download, but I
only managed to enroll with the Telia CA with substantial effort
(they require Firefox which I don't use) and when I actually managed
to get an e-leg anyway I couldn't download it to my own card because
it was locked inside the netid closed source soft token. Boo.)

//Peter