On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 09:02:29AM +0100, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> distributions like slackware and fedora moved to the "xz" compression
> a while ago, even the kernel developers think about abandoning the
> ".tar.gz" file format in favor of alternatives with better compression
> like ".tar.bz2" or ".tar.xz" (or short: ".txz").

I've never heard of xz before your post (not that I claim to be up to
date with current developments in compression technology).
And debian stable (aka lenny) doesn't have it:

% apt-cache search xz
makexvpics - updates .xvpics thumbnails from the command line
xzgv - Picture viewer for X with a thumbnail-based selector
xzip - Interpreter of Infocom-format story-files
xzoom - magnify part of X display, with real-time updates
zblast-x11 - X11 version of zblast, shoot 'em up space game
horae-examples - ATHENA and ARTEMIS examples and tutorials

or is this in a package with an obscure name?
And debian stable tar doesn't have a -J option.
(And you don't think the unsecure .shar format is a canditate?)

Does it really matter if the distribution is 1M or 1.5M?
I can see this makes a difference for large distributions like the
kernel, though.

So I vote for keeping .tar.gz -- or if size really matters move to bz2.

Ralf

--
Dr. Ralf Schlatterbeck                  Tel:   +43/2243/26465-16
Open Source Consulting                  Fax:   +43/2243/26465-23