On Mar 25, 2010, at 21:32 , Douglas E. Engert wrote:
> I realize that OpenSC does not a lot of Windows experts, what it does have
> is a lot of Unix experts that try and do everything from Unix. But we do
> have some windows expertise, as shown by the development of a CSP.
I don't know what is the required level to be named an expert, it seems that
most people don't use Windows daily. And we don't have the infrastructure to
run similar nightly stuff on Windows as currently is running on Linux.

> As I have said before, if OpenSC wants the general Windows community to
> accept OpenSC as secure and stable, we need to solve many of these issues
> and building on Windows using Microsoft compilers and linkers is one step
> toward creating that trust.
"General Windows community" can mean many things. For "end users"  it does not
matter as long as the stuff he/she installs works, for windows developers it
probably matters.

I'm personally pro-platform specific tools, that's why I'm pro-cmake (or
whatever makes building on Windows with native tools an almost enjoyable
process)
Something that takes into account that most active developers use *nix must be
implemented.

> Fortunately for windows user, (but not for OpenSC developers) Windows smart
> card drivers are available from most vendors. Microsoft provides in Windows
> 7 a built in driver for the PIV card that I am most interested in.
> But there is still no PKCS#11 to CryptoAPI for use with Mozilla (I did see a
> thread from 2007 with Alon's response.)

It was just recently discussed again on mozilla-dev-tech-crypto:
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.tech.crypto/browse_thread/thread/19facdd44bbb399d/f1ae3313c20cd9db?#f1ae3313c20cd9db

http://mxr.mozilla.org/security/source/security/nss/lib/ckfw/capi/

--
Martin Paljak