Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
> Am Montag 19 April 2010 16:57:35 schrieb Jan Just Keijser:
>
>> Note: there is no absolutely secure method to establish a connection
>> between a card on a remote machine and the CA . Period.
>>

> I think that is wrong. some smart card protocols work like that:
> step 1: ask card for some serial number (or given number)
> step 2: start encrypted communication using a key known to you and
> stored on the card when it was initialised.
>
> of course the protocol started with step 2 needs to be secure
> against replay attacks and so on, but I guess there are well
> known protocols that can be implemented right away.
>
> I'm no expert on this, but I see no reason why encrypted secure
> communication with a card needs more than a one time minimal
> initialisation (e.g. writing a number and a key to the card).

In our solutions we are doing card initialization (that can include
load/init of the applets, secret keys create/change) with SM. The
distant SCM&PKI server is used. There keysets are diversified from the
card's data (serial number) with some master key stored in HSM.
With SM is also done a part of the card personalization (key import);
with the 'External Authentication' part of card administration (PIN
unblock).

> Regards, Andreas

Kind wishes,
Viktor.