Martin Paljak wrote:
> Most of the PDF attacks AFAIK make use of stuff in PDF that should
> not be there. Like JavaScript or .exe-s :)
>
> I'm not 100% sure but the PDF format that is used for long-term
> archival, PDF/A [1], should not have at least some of the problems.

PDF supports a subset of PostScript.

--8<-- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDF
The PDF combines three technologies:

* A subset of the PostScript page description programming language, for
  generating the layout and graphics.
* A font-embedding/replacement system to allow fonts to travel with the
  documents.
* A structured storage system to bundle these elements and any associated
  content into a single file, with data compression where appropriate.
-->8--

A program that renders PDF files will interpret and execute the
PostScript program, in order to show a rasterized image on screen or
paper.

Two interpreters may not produce identical rasterized output.

Unless the signature is made on some canonical representation of the
output from the PostScript program, rather than the source, it's not
really possible to know if the signature was for the particular
rasterized image that will be rendered by a distinct interpretation
of the PS program.

Host filesystem I/O is supported in PostScript, but at least not
mentioned to be removed in PDF/A on Wikipedia. PDF/A requires all
fonts to be embedded in the file, which at least for TrueType means
that there is yet another layer where the recipient is to some degree
executing code (kerning instructions) from the sender.

Dunno.. Are signed PDFs what govts are using? Seems risky.

//Peter