Jim Rees wrote:
> Juergen Beisert wrote:
>   > > Jim Rees wrote:
>   > >> You might want to add pinpad support.
>
>   The external card reader device uses a local processor to run its own
>   firmware. But my case is a little bit different than with an external
> reader device: My regular Linux system is the processor and the firmware
> (it is the reader itself). So, maybe we should omit such a feature, because
> its too easy to compromise it.
>
> You may want to omit the feature for your implementation.  My suggestion is
> to add support for pinpad to the api.  Someone else may want to use it.

You miss the point. If one needs this feature, he/she has to implement it in
the userland driver. So, there is no need in kernel driver API for that.

IMHO it would make the kernel driver way too complex, to handle such pin input
and do the required communication itself to the attached SmartCard (okay, it
would be more secure then involving userland).
But all other user suggestions here do *any* protocol handling in userland.
And I second this.

Regards,
Juergen