On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 16:36, Martin Paljak <mar...@paljak.pri.ee> wrote:

> As there is not much information about incrypto34 available besides the
> original commit [1], can you describe the difference or similarities of the
> two cards/drivers? Is incrypto34 driver superseded/obsoleted by the itacns
> driver? Can they function in parallel? Do you know anything else about the
> incrypto card/driver?

The CNS specification only contains a small number of commands – those
needed to ensure interoperability (to a certain degree), so that any
vendor can (in theory) manufacture compliant cards based on the
platform of their choice. The specs leave a certain degree of freedom
in the ATR issued by the CNS card; only some items, and some
historical bytes, are fixed.

The "itacns" driver tries to recognize any CNS card and to support any
quirk required by specific models. By contrast, the "incrypto34"
driver lists a specific, old CNS card and seems to support a wider
range of commands, including those required card
initialization/personalization (erasing the filesystem and creating
the ATR), but I have no way of testing whether they work. Also,
current CNS cards manufactured by STMicroelectronics have different
ATR's, and it is possible that their command set is different too.

The pkcs15-itacns.c emulator uses specific card data that is stored by
card-itacns.c, so it wouldn't currently work with the incrypto34
driver. I removed the ATR from the list so that owners of that
specific CNS card can use the emulator (the most common use case)
without forcing the driver in the configuration file. Those who want
to try and play with the card can still use the incrypto34 driver, so
I wouldn't say it is superseded; only, it's useful for the rare use
case (and, perhaps, with specific cards that were issued long ago).

--
Emanuele