Hey,

>>  Better use the open source CCID driver. Just to be sure.
Understood, will do that.

>>  $ opensc-tool -i
Sorry, i meant opensc -n

>>  $ opensc-tool -D
>>  Ah, the double entry got removed, thanks for sending this!
Didn't notice it myself actually, just thought it would be useful as background
info on my problem :)

>>  AFAIK the shared NSS db has nothing to do with pam_pkcs11.
If that's true, why do i have the option of choosing to compile pam_pkcs11 with
nss ?
./configure --help | grep nss
   --with-nss              use NSS instead of openSSL and raw PKCS 11
That's the default package when it comes with Red Hat.

>>  The first event when a card is removed from the reader is lost, but that is
>> a bug of OpenSC and should not result in behavior as you experience.
>>  Looking at pam_pkcs11 source, I can only see that the loop breaks only if
>> C_WaitForSlotEvent (the SECMOD_ wrapper of it in NSS) returns NULL. Here the
>> relevant error code is SC_ERROR_EVENT_TIMEOUT
Yeah, i hear you, Ive looked at the part too, question is why do i get
SC_ERROR_EVENT_TIMEOUT.

>>  If you have so sensitive data in your public information (certificates are
>> usually "public", at least in your 100+ computer PKI system), don't send out
>> *anything* from your computer system.
>>  If not, the only sensitive information in the log file is your PIN code (if
>> you don't use a pinpad) If that is the case, either edit the log file and
>> remove the lines with the PIN code (you can grep for it) or change it to a
>> dummy value (0000/1234) before generating the test log.
>>  Usually the best is to set the debug to "very high" so that all bits and
>> pieces would get logged. For pkcs11_eventmgr, nothing about certificates
>> should get logged. Plase send a full log file (set debug to 9 in opensc.conf
>> and set an output file to some value) with the failing case "pkcs11_eventmgr
>> debug nodaemon  (card NOT in reader)"
Ok, I understand. AFAIK we don't story anything else then the public
certificate so maybe it's alright, however my knowledge around this is limited
so i need to check it on Monday with the security expert.

>>  Finally, I don't think you *have* to use NSS with pam_pkcs11, only because
>> GDM uses NSS.
I think that both pam_pkcs11 and gdm uses nss as default when they come
packaged with Red Hat. So if I get one working i think the other one will
too(if pam_eventmgr with nss = OK, i think gdm will work too, because they use
the same method of detecting insertions/removals).
But maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks for your help and let me get back next week with some more info.

/Patrik Martinsson,
Sweden.