Hello,

On Sep 1, 2010, at 1:58 PM, Patrik Martinsson wrote:
> As a Linux user today at our company you need to find a Windows computer or
> go to our helpdesk to get your card unlocked, you also need to call the
> helpdesk to get your puk.
> I guess what I'm asking for is a simple way for the user to understand that
> their card is locked, eg. telling the user that the 'card is locked' instead
> of 'logon failure' as it is today. But again, maybe this is not possible, or
> maybe this is applications specific rather then opensc.
That can be improved in gdm/screensaver. OpenSC returns CKF_USER_PIN_LOCKED
after a PIN entrr try if the method got blocked. Even NSS/Firefox used to
ignore this return code for a long time and as a result asked for a PIN 3 times
(hardcoded apparently) even if the PIN was already locked. That got fixed
lately, don't know when it will arrive in Firefox though. Also see ticket #250,
for further flags to check for usability (e.g. "This will be your final PIN
try, failing this will block your PIN" message).

> >> Only if they integrate standard CCID readers directly to the USB bus.
> >> Unfortunately they use integrated chips that do "secure digital" and
> >> "smart card". Some Linux tutorials in the wild, that talk about OpenSC, >>
> >> direct people to memory card reader listings (where, indeed, some chips
> >> support smart cards but AFAIK only on Windows) instead of libccid's
> >> extensive list...
>
> Yep, i was actually talking about one of those chips,R5C822
> (http://www.ricoh.com/LSI/product_pcif/pcc/5c821/index.html). According to
> the homepage the chip is discontinued however HP still delivers them in their
> brand new models, 8440p for example, god knows why. Is there any chance that
> we would see some support on these chipsets under Linux ?
This has been discussed before [2] on MUSCLE mailing list. I doubt it will
happen [3].

>>> Check the logs. OpenCT has nothing to do with it. The culprit, failing
>>> C_WaitForSlotEvent amd pcsc_wait_for_event has been identified a few
>>> e-mails back. reader-pcsc.c needs fixing for a) card re-insertion detecion
>>> b) event waiting.
> Hmm yes, I've checked the logs, and as i understand it you correctly, it's a
> pcsc-lite issue ? So i should take it on their mailinglist instead ?
No, it is a bug in OpenSC pcsc driver. Just wanted to draw the attention to the
fact that it has nothing to do with Open*CT*.

[1] http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/ticket/250
[2] http://lists.drizzle.com/pipermail/muscle/2009-December/008009.html
[3] http://lists.drizzle.com/pipermail/muscle/2009-December/008013.html
--