On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 22:43, Ludovic Rousseau
<ludovic.rouss...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/9/4 Peter Stuge <pe...@stuge.se>:
>> Martin Paljak wrote:
>>> Nothing bad will happen if pcscd is not gracefully shut down when
>>> the computer is rebooting,
>>
>> Not the problem. But if pcscd crashes it should be restarted, as long
>> as the card is still inserted. So pcscd needs to be supervised. Many
>> distributions don't support it, but they will, and there's not much
>> point in going against the flow; better just start the service the
>> $distribution way.
>
> If pcscd crashes it will be restarted by the next
> SCardEstablishContext() call using the same auto start mechanism.
> But pcscd never crashes :-)

By the way, I think this claim is correct, I don't remember seeing a
crashing released version of pcsc-lite on Linux under normal use (no
comments about OS X though).

But a crashing pcscd would bring down with it all handles, so I don't
see a need why it needs to be restarted based on the reader state.
Only if the application asks for a restart (and knows how to recover
from the situation).

If pcscd has built-in restart and exit handling (and policy), the
whole distro voodoo can be forgotten, no?