Hello,

On Sep 15, 2010, at 11:08 AM, Viktor TARASOV wrote:
> Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:
>> I got very bad results with OpenSSL 1.0.0 (and 1.0.0a) on Windows in Server
>> Environment: stability issues that couldn't be tracked down. The same code
>> works well with 0.9.8o.
>>
>> So maybe you too want to go back to the last 0.9.8* release, until OpenSSL
>> releases a stable 1.0.* version?
>>
>> (I saw the changes for the build project using openssl 1.0.0a now...)
>>
> Not quite related to the topic.
>
> Afaiu, in OpenSSL 1.0.0 it's possible to generate the RSA key with an
> engine using the command line tools,
> there is no such possibility in the 0.9.x versions.
OpenSSL 1.0.0 had some ASM optimization problems [1] (which, of course, is
enabled by all distro packages). For seldom-happening single operations
(verification, decryption, digest calculation) I think the instability problem
is not that apparent. Also, the heavyweight operation is always happening on a
quite slow smart card, we don't need to enable any ASM optimizations (need to
check how OpenSSL is built with mingw)

> From your point of view, is it worth to implement the 'key_gen'
> facility in OpenSC engine_pkcs11 & libp11 ?
Why not.

At the same time I don't think OpenSSL is used that much for generic key
management (Yet Another OpenSSL CA script-fu does not count) and enrollment, or
if it is best tool for this.
Key generation, even if generated for short periods and re-generated often, is
a quite special use case. Key generation, CSR generation and certificate
generation in a single application in one go is IMHO not a good idea nor a
often used feature.

> The same about implementing the engine's 'store_meth'.
> Afaiu, in this case OpenSSL can be used to list/store/delete
> certificates, data, ... on the card, and probably more.
> (For a moment I do not see how to access the engine's 'store' with the
> OpenSSL tools.)
Last time I checked (about a year ago?) the store interface was not complete.
But it would be a nice thing to have and change the current engine control to
the generic store interface.

> I have in mind the unique family of tools to perform all card enrollment
> operations.
> (Actually, when doing decentralized enrollment:
> key is generated with OpenSC, P10 is signed with OpenSSL, certificate is
> imported with OpenSC.)

I think OpenSSL support is important to the level that OpenSSL based
applications can access keys (and certificates) on the card (or in any other
PKCS#11 hardware) and most importantly, can use the keys for SSL/TLS,  what
should be the main purpose of  OpenSSL.

It would not hurt to have engine_pkcs11 as full-featured as possible, but I
would not promote OpenSSL [2] as "the API" for smart card personalization or
hardware key generation.

[1] http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/browser/trunk/src/libopensc/sc.c#L696
[2] http://www.peereboom.us/assl/assl/html/openssl.html
--