We discussed this a few years ago.

Building a package should not access the web.
Once you checkout a fresh checkout, you should be able to build
distribution tarball even if you have no access to internet.

What I recommended, and still am, is to split the tarballs into two.

open...@package_version@.tar.gz
opensc-do...@package_version@.tar.gz

Making the opensc package be pure standard package, without the
complexity introduced from fetching stuff from the web.

I can do this if you like.

Alon.