On 2010/12/20 5:30, Jean-Michel Pouré - GOOZE wrote:

> Some users are contacting me with questions about Windows support for
> PKCS#11 smartcards. As far as I understand, Windows support for PKCS#11
> is poor.

AFAIK, Windows uses CSPs, and does not support PKCS#11 at all. This may have
changed in Windows 7, but I doubt it.

> Do some of you know solutions for:
> * Single sign-on Windows using PKCS#11 cards.
> * Smartcard based windows disk encryption (EFS).
> * Secure (smartcard) logon using MS Windows VPN.

No :)

> Would a mini-driver between Windows and PKCS#11 do the trick? Just for
> my personal knowledge, I would like to know. There is such a mini-driver
> in OpenSC SVN. Is it working?

I haven't tried the one in SVN, but it looks like a fairy complete read-only
driver. Try it and tell us how it worked out.

Generally:

* a minidriver is a *CSP* minidriver. You can think of it as a equivalent to the
card driver modules in OpenSC. There is actually a Wiki with a pretty picture :)
http://www.opensc-project.org/opensc/wiki/MiniDriver
* it's just a DLL, that exposes functions like create file, delete file, sign,
encrypt etc. The specification is available from Microsoft ([1])
* the cool thing about a minidriver is that, unlike a full CSP, you don't have
to get it signed by Microsoft
* writing a full minidriver is tricky, but a read-only one is fairly easy
* as long as the following basic functionality is implemented, you should be
able to use your OpenSC card with the Windows CSP
  * listing files and containers
  * authentication (PIN)
  * exporting certificates
  * signing