On 1/22/2011 8:38 AM, Martin Paljak wrote:

> On Jan 14, 2011, at 9:07 PM, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>> 'On 1/14/2011 12:48 PM, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
>>> At build script there is a comment:
>>> # Disable until we solve license issue
>>> #       if [ -n "${BUILD_FOR_WINDOWS}" ]; then
>>> #               extra_opensc="${extra_opensc} --enable-cardmod"
>>> #       fi
>>>
>>> I have modified cardmod.h to meet mingw, but was remove at revision
>>> 101 due to license issue.
>>
>> I see that, but was trying to test if it could still be built
>> and work.
>>
>> If the license issues can not be addressed, then maybe cardmod
>> could be built as a separate package by the user.
>

> Actually, mingw (or wine) is not the best approach for building software for
> Windows. There are no licensing issues when used with native windows tools,
> which should be the preferred way. Anyway - it is impossible to test a
> minidriver without Windows, so the availability of the platform is somewhat a
> pre-requisite for the development anyway.

I agree with you on this, but there has not been much support for building
on Windows and it has been hard to find Windows developers and getting Visual
Studio installed is not easy.  Alon and I had this discussion a few years ago.
Alon has had the time and energy to get the mingw with cross compiling working.
In addition to building opensc, the build script also builds openvpn, openssl,
zlib, libp11, libconv, libtool and pkcs11-helper.

As you point out, there are licencing issues, and if at least the cardmod
driver could be built on Windows these might be addressed. But it will take some
work.

An other interesting approach which we have not looked is to do what Mozilla
does. It uses a mingw environment for make, and other commands but uses the
Microsoft compiler and loader from Visual Studio.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <deeng...@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory