On 2/4/2011 8:18 AM, Andre Zepezauer wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-02-04 at 07:58 +0200, Martin Paljak wrote:
>> On Feb 3, 2011, at 10:04 PM, Douglas E. Engert wrote:
>>
>>> I have updates #321 with a new version of the cardmod patch
>>> and would like to start to commit it in pieces.
>>>
>>> Piece 1 is the attachment I sent on 1/28 as new.martin.patch
>>> based on Martin's patch from 1/19. This was the patch that would
>>> work for Brian. The main change is adding two parameters to all
>>> the *_detect_readers routines.  Martin's patch already required these
>>> to be added in a number of places.
>>>
>>> Is there any objection to adding this patch now?
>>
>> I would consider using a new hook, like "use_reader" or
>> "use_pcsc_parameters" to send the arguments to reader-pcsc.c and set the
>> (pcsc, not cardmod) driver to "cardmod state". The reader operations API is
>> by no means set in stone. Nor is there need to abstract it away too much,
>> the usage pattern is known and the code path to implement it should be as
>> simple as possible (sc_XXX wrapper that will not be used by any other reader
>> driver, like sc_cancel and sc_wait_for_event are examples of "somewhat bad
>> ideas". Yet it is a working pattern.)
>
> Attachment shows a different approach. It's not a complete solution but
> should be sufficient to demonstrate an alternative method of
> SCARDCONTEXT passing.

I appreciate the change. But how this will work depends on how Martin
implements the sc_ctx_detect_reader patch. There may or may not
be a reader structure to change. If there was one, then reader-pcsc
must have found all the readers and cards and have handles to them. Just
overwriting the handles may cause a memory leak as the overwritten
handles may not get released. It also means that when the pcsc is done
it will release the handles provided by the BaseCSP, this may cause other
problems.

The current cardmod changes in reader-pcsc.c try and do a lot of work
to make sure extra handles are not obtained, and are not release.
We need to look closer at these changes, and if these can be merged in
better to the original reader-pcsc.c code.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <deeng...@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory