Hello,

On Mar 25, 2011, at 16:19 , Douglas E. Engert wrote:
> On 3/25/2011 9:03 AM, Brian Thomas wrote:
>> Is there any documentation on the OpenSC 12 DLL? I would like to write a
>> LabVIEW application for configuring smartcards for out V&V needs. I have no
>> idea what functions to call or what order to call
>> them in to connect to a card without any documentation.
>>

> The OpenSC dll is basically what is in libopensc. It is
> intended to be internal, and called only by PKCS#11, or
> the tools. It has no external API.

Well, it does have an API (like OpenSSL has one -> a bunch of functions
available in a dll) that is used by platform drivers like PKCS#11 and tokend
and minidriver or by the OpenSC tools themselves.

Initialization through PKCS#11 is unfortunately not very flexible nor
implemented sufficiently by OpenSC.

Nevertheless, the API is not supposed to be linked by *publicly distributed 3rd
party applications* to avoid dependencies in Linux distros etc.  Most existing
linkers used libopensc to *access* keys for signing-decryptiong which is better
done via an established API like PKCS#11.

But using it for custom integration projects is a perfectly valid reason to
link against libopensc (or the DLL), if distributed with the necessary DLL. But
be ready to adjust your code if the API changes.

> What do you mean by configuring smartcards?
I guess this is personalization (key generation, certificate loading etc)

> What is V&V?
I guess this stands for Verification and Validation.