On Apr 13, 2011, at 23:44 , Douglas E. Engert wrote:

> On 4/13/2011 2:03 PM, Martin Paljak wrote:
>> Hello,
>> On Apr 13, 2011, at 20:44 , Felipe Blauth wrote:
>>
>>> Hello to all,
>>>
>>> Simple question:
>>> Is it  possible, using openssl, to unwrap a key wraped inside a Smart Card
>>> with C_Wrap function?
>
> Its not that simple.
> Is the key to be unwrapped on the card, or do you have the wrapped key of the
> card
> and it has to be unwrapped a private key on the card?
>
>> The format of C_Wrap is described in PKCS#11 specification. Yes, you could
>> use OpenSSL but note that OpenSC does not support C_Wrap (or unwrap)
>>

> If the wrapped key was wrapped by an RSA public key, the Mozilla NSS for
> example
> can fall back to using C_Decrypt in place of C_Unwrap. The data returned is
> the bits of the key, and not a PKCS#11 session object.'

But that's the expected behavior. As OpenSC is supposed to be a gateway for
*in-hardware* operations, if the outcome from the card is plaintext key
material, the application should use the plaintext key for whatever it deems
necessary. That's why Wrap/Unwrap is not implemented.

If the Unwrap resulted in a native object (meaning the key would not leave the
hardware) C_Unwrap could (and should) be used (and first implemented)

Unfortunately there's no standard for this that I know of.

Martin