Hi!

> Many thanks Franck and Martin, using exclusive mode solved my problem:
> I wonder if there is not a problem in shared more or if we should not
> ask users to use exclusive mode only.

No problem, I had a similar problem where two applications accessed a
smart card. One "initialized" the card leaving it in an unusable state
for the other.

IMHO, _shared_mode_ is not what you want for multiple applications. What
Juan described sounds like a security nightmare. Smart cards do things
like mutual authentication, which is not much mutual anymore from the
smart cards point of view if applications on the one end can change. If
such behaviour is required, applications should at least access the card
through the same middleware and let the middleware do SM (and
authentication of the different apps).

In your example, Juan, you say that Firefox calls C_Init to initialize
the card for pkcs11. I'm not an expert for p11, but is it really needed
to actually lock the card on initialization and keep an established
connection?

Cheers, Frank.