On 6/10/2011 12:08 PM, Martin Paljak wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2011, at 13:11 , Stef Walter wrote:
>
>> On 06/09/2011 09:37 PM, Stef Walter wrote:
>>> I'm working on integrating smart card support via PKCS#11 into glib and
>>> gcr (part of gnome-keyring). We're integrating with GnuTLS for TLS support.
>>>
>>> I'd like to be able to do a C_Login in my code, and then pass off the
>>> URL to Gnutls. GnuTLS would then open another session, recognize that
>>> we're already logged in (this may need a slight tweak in the gnutls
>>> code) and then proceed without prompting the user.
>>
>> After sleeping on this idea, I realized it won't work in certain cases.
>> In particular when the key has CKA_ALWAYS_AUTHENTICATE and requires
>> C_Login with CKU_CONTEXT_SPECIFIC.
> This is hardly the case with SSL.
>
> CKA_ALWAYS_AUTHENTICATE in OpenSC context for example is only set for keys
> that require "user consent" or usually are used for "nonrepudiation".
> Most cards I've seen can use authentication keys once the cardholder is
> verified until the card is reset or removed.
>
> Using such card with a pinpad reader would be impossible for web
> authentication, you'd be typing the PIN most of the time.

The PIV card is an example of this.

The PIV card's "Certificate for Digital Signature" (9C key) require the
CKA_ALWAYS_AUTHENTICATE. It is enforced by the card, in that a crypto operation
using the (9C key) must immediately follow a PIN verify. No other card
operations
allowed between the verify and crypto. (The use of pin cacheing IMHO is a
security
risk or violation of policy. Policy may require the use of a PIN PAD reader,
so caching would not work.)

So with a browser this is not an issue as it is using the authentication cert
but when signing E-mail, for example with Thunderbird you must enter the PIN
for each e-mail signature operation.

--

  Douglas E. Engert  <deeng...@anl.gov>
  Argonne National Laboratory